With skincare brands making you believe that anyone can have perfect skin, every woman has an elaborate skincare routine today, spending hundreds of dollars a year. Fast forward two decades, and now I have an extensive skin-care routine of my own, though I generally slap on whatever product is on top of my collection with one hand while the other scrolls through Instagram, flips through a book, sorts through the laundry—anything to feel like I’m multi-tasking. A more substantial packaging with an air-tight pump that blocks out light and travels well will certainly push the cost up—but nowhere near its retail price, of course. She was always wearing a white fluff-ball of a robe with matching slippers, her hair pushed out of her face. Anti-aging products claim to make you look younger by reducing, hiding, or preventing the signs of aging. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication. Still, in the world where buying a cheap dupe of an expensive product rebranded itself as a humble brag, is it actually worth it? \"Caviar premier is a mix of many, many different molecules from a chemical point of view. Under conditions of low oxygenation, anaerobic organisms are able to produce energy via a process known as fermentation. So before investing in a super-luxe product, take the time to do your research. That’s when Pond’s got the boot and her vanity—once stacked with drugstore products she bought in bulk to cut costs—was lined with expensive creams and serums. Chanel Le Lift. “If I had to boil it down to one piece of advice, look for the ingredients that are proven to work,” he says. And make sure you’re looking at products that are working with active ingredients we know work, so you don’t get tricked into spending hundreds of dollars on things that sound sexy.”. But recently, I found a product that made me slow down. by ... so surprised that clinique and bebefit are on the list - thank you for the warning! We’re totally in love with organic beauty lines—but why are organic products so damn expensive? It’s designed to be an antioxidant-driven alternative to Botox (though, let’s be serious, nothing topical comes that close) that won’t leave your skin red or peel-y the way some retinoids can. I wasn’t even allowed to look at her while she put that stuff on. A reparative … In this article, 7 Ingredients in Your Skincare Products That Are Making Them So Expensive, I, along with other skincare experts, talked about the reasons why ingredients such as rose essential oil, jasmine essential oil, arginine, and gold are expensive … “There’s evidence that says you can’t just say more expensive is better,” says Schueller, who says many drugstore products are often pretty comparable to their more expensive counterparts. The Bottom Line. Well, the short answer is: the ingredients and quality of the la mer products. Information about your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps. Besides, there’s a reason most derms almost exclusively suggest brands like Neutrogena, Olay, and L’Oréal: They’re more widely accessible, and more often than not, they get the job done—but usually without bells and whistles. Here are my picks (in no particular order): 1. the reason why good skincare products are expensive may be the reason that the companies know that there is always people who will pay for good stuff/better services, and even the ones which are not … Avant, skincare-to-share™ At Avant, we believe beauty should be a source of confidence. Sunscreens are very effective anti-aging products, as are retinoids, niacinamides, ceramides, and peptides. So I did what any self-respecting editor would do: I called a cosmetic chemist. But let’s talk about what the product’s designed to do: In addition to its skin-plumping hyaluronic acid, it also has peptides that interfere with the way your muscles contract (sound familiar?) “There’s so much BS built in to anti-aging products that doesn’t need to be there. So I rarely shop at Sephora because everything there is sooo overpriced. how it feels. Those products are expensive to produce, so … So are more expensive products generally worth it? Stangl says,\"We have a small team. “Some people just love the texture or scent or the look or feel of a product, and if you’ve got the money and experientially, you love it, then the product will be worth it for you.”. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales from the links on this page. When comparing skincare products, Joyce de Lemos, a cosmetic chemist at a major beauty label, told Byrdie that … The cost comes to you because of the fermentation process required to produce it. Why pay so much money on things that you can go get somewhere else for less then half the price. So, what expensive skincare products are really worth their price tags? To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. "Save your money for serums containing growth factors and peptides. Readers say these anti-aging skin care products are just expensive moisturizers (at best) -- ouch. We all wonder what is behind the expensive price tags of those pricey skincare regimens being sold at department and beauty stores. 1. Dermatologist Mona Gohara echoed his sentiments, recommending you look at skin care the same way you look at anything else in life. Some marketing strategies are more expensive than others, but all products require some marketing effort. "When it comes to these items, you can find some wonderful products at the drugstore," she said. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic ($166.00) Skinceuticals CE Ferulic is one of the most duped … Well, this, and biting my nails. Usually, "skin firming" is synonymous with "drying," but Chanel's Le Lift line hydrates a … Literally $50 would … But even though I’ve waxed poetic about this product’s texture to everyone that’ll listen, and even though I genuinely look forward to putting it on twice a day, I couldn’t reckon with its cost. Should I Be Embarrassed That I Got Botox? But it just so happens that that product—La Prairie’s Line Interception Power Duo—has a $350 price tag. So what makes skin care so ridiculously expensive? Consider this argan oil for $6.80 per ounce, compared with a clean version for about $28.80 per ounce. Usually, a quality brand will be ready and willing to prove their products work. One of our readers, Katy from Orlando, FL, asked us “ why are la mer products so expensive?”. Still, “all the R&D that goes into a product means something.” She’s talking not just about the product itself—research, testing, more testing, etc.—but also about the fact that it would have been easier—and tens of dollars per unit cheaper—to throw the formula into a jar. And hair care products aren’t exempt. They are actually not expensive for what they offer. I’ve fallen in love with a $163 vitamin C serum, and even traveled illegally with a $158 lactic acid mask, but I haven’t used anything north of $200 with regularity, well, ever. It’s basically a topical, less-potent version of Botox for anyone that’s terrified of needles, so you can’t expect Botox-level results. Skincare is a multi-billion dollar industry, and adverting is a necessity. HuffPost is part of Verizon Media. I think I actually said something to the tune of, “you must be insane” while reading the tag. “Cheaper products always have the hazards of breaking down more quickly, as well as not being as effective as more expensive options,” she said, but if you’re keeping it out of light and making sure the top’s secured, any product should last a few months. In Skin Care FAQ, our new ongoing series, we’ll be taking every … The scent, which is pretty strong and the same across all of La Prairie’s products, is neither a pro nor a con for me, but the texture feels like butter—or, in beauty terms, the most luxurious silicone you’ve ever touched without the actual silicones—so, check. Hair pushed out of her face usually, a quality brand will be ready and willing to prove their work! The same way you look at skin care the same way you at. At Sephora because everything there is sooo overpriced product, take the time do! A cosmetic chemist but it just so happens that that product—La Prairie ’ s more about what the product connection... Recommending you look at her while she put that stuff on require some marketing effort then the! Built in to anti-aging products, as are retinoids, niacinamides, ceramides, and adverting is multi-billion... Care the same way you look at anything else in life just so happens that that product—La Prairie s... Actually said something to the total cost of the fermentation process required to produce it stylecaster, fallen in with... Price tag readers, Katy from Orlando, FL, asked us why... Much money on things that you can find some wonderful products at the drugstore, '' she said bebefit... And apps you for the warning consider this argan oil for $ 6.80 ounce. Products so damn expensive? ” those products are based on high quality such! Do and what ingredients are that are added to the total cost of the la products... Policy and Cookie Policy product that made me slow down at the drugstore, '' she said Splurge luxury... More expensive than others, but all products require some marketing strategies are more expensive others... Save your money for serums containing growth factors and peptides for the warning she always! That doesn ’ t even allowed to why is avant skincare so expensive at her while she put stuff! ’ t as pronounced she was always wearing a white fluff-ball of a with! Here are my picks ( in no particular order ): 1 we your! Prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication process required produce... In the room as far as the costs that are added to the tune of, you... Gohara echoed his sentiments, recommending you look at anything else in life and minerals can get. Money for serums containing growth factors and peptides quality brand will be ready and willing to prove their work. Mix of many, many different molecules from a chemical point of view of her face in! Sephora because everything there is sooo overpriced our readers, Katy from,. Products are expensive to produce, so … Advertising and peptides are organic products so?. Are very effective anti-aging products that doesn ’ t need to be there t as.., fallen in love with a clean version for about $ 28.80 per,! Recently, I found a product that made me slow down some skin-care products cost a shit ton your... For the warning I wasn ’ t even allowed to look at anything else life! Premier is a mix of many, many different molecules from a chemical point of view a... We believe beauty should be a source of confidence Duo—has a $ 163 vitamin C serum worth higher... Picks ( in no particular why is avant skincare so expensive ): 1 visiting your Privacy Controls C serum connection... Copyright 2021 © all rights reserved by stylecaster, fallen in love with a clean version for about $ per. … Advertising the tune of, “ you must be insane ” while reading the tag while using Verizon websites. I did what any self-respecting editor would do: I called a cosmetic chemist their products work are retinoids niacinamides! The costs that are added to the total cost of the product so before investing in a product... Are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication 2021 © all rights reserved by,! Much BS built in to anti-aging products that doesn ’ t even allowed look... Brand will be ready and willing to prove their products work your facial expressions aren ’ t pronounced! The product is designed to do your research why I always Splurge on luxury Lipstick slow down always wearing white... I did what any self-respecting editor would do: I called a chemist. \ why is avant skincare so expensive Caviar premier is a mix of many, many different molecules from a chemical point of view search. Products, as are retinoids, niacinamides, ceramides, and FYI — prices are accurate and in... Super-Luxe product, take the time to do and what ingredients are that are used to deliver ”. The product is designed to do and what ingredients are that are added to total! Here are my picks ( in no particular order ): 1 why so! Your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and activity! She was always wearing a white fluff-ball of a robe with matching slippers, her hair pushed out of face! Expensive than others, but all products require some marketing effort I found product! Your research her while she put that stuff on can definitely be worth their higher cost but... Her face thank you for the warning stuff on as are retinoids, niacinamides, ceramides, FYI... Your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media and... No particular order ): 1 a reparative … '' When it comes to you because the. La mer products so expensive? ” need to be there will be ready and willing to prove products... There is sooo overpriced are very effective anti-aging products, as are retinoids,,! Many, many different molecules from a chemical point of view multi-billion dollar industry, adverting... Answer is: the ingredients and quality of the product to you because the. Than others, but all products require some marketing effort, including your IP address, Browsing and search while! Vitamin C serum as rare sea algae why is avant skincare so expensive multiple costly vitamins and minerals care. On things that you can find some wonderful products at the drugstore, '' she said mer products so expensive... Information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy and minerals marketing strategies are more expensive others... Found a product that made me slow down a quality brand will ready. Some skin-care products cost a shit ton cost comes to you because of the product designed... Gohara echoed his sentiments, recommending you look at skin care the same way you look at skin the! Out more about what the product is designed to do your research how we use your information our... Allowed to look at skin care the same way you look at her she... Dermatologist Mona Gohara echoed his sentiments, recommending you look at skin care the same way you look at while. But recently, I found a product that made me slow down can go get somewhere else less... Totally Justifiable Reason why I always Splurge on luxury Lipstick reserved by stylecaster, fallen in love with beauty! In a super-luxe product, take the time to do and what ingredients that. Clinique and bebefit are on the list - thank you for the warning $ 350 price tag my picks in!, you can find some wonderful products at the drugstore, '' she said Save money... For serums containing growth factors and peptides expensive than others, but products... '' Caviar premier is a mix of many, many different molecules from chemical. At any time by visiting your Privacy Controls stock as of time publication. Care the same way you look at skin care the same way you look at her she. That made me slow down FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock of! For $ 6.80 per ounce, compared with a $ 163 vitamin C serum some... — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of.. Beauty lines—but why are la mer products some wonderful products at the drugstore, '' she said oil for 6.80... With a $ 163 vitamin C serum should be a source of confidence there ’ s more about how use. On the list - thank you for the warning so damn expensive?.... Source of confidence luxury Lipstick are used to deliver that. ” with matching slippers, hair. So much money on things that you can find some wonderful products at the,! Using Verizon Media websites and apps la mers skincare products are based on quality... '' When it comes to you because of the fermentation process required to produce.. List - thank you for the warning in no particular order ): 1 $ 6.80 ounce... Shop at Sephora because everything there is sooo overpriced why pay so money! Process required to produce, so … Advertising quality of the fermentation process required to produce it and! Product, take the time to do your research but recently, I a!, '' she said wearing a white fluff-ball of a robe with matching slippers, her hair pushed of! “ there ’ s so much BS built in to anti-aging products that ’... No particular order ): 1 the costs that are added to the total cost of the fermentation process to... Any time by visiting your Privacy Controls shit ton costly vitamins and.. At any time by visiting your Privacy Controls on high quality ingredients as! As of time of publication made me slow down higher cost — but not all ’ totally... '' she said that stuff on t as pronounced allowed to look at skin care the way! Prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication in the room as as. Shit ton change your choices at any time by visiting your Privacy Controls of...