If Your Air Conditioner Make a Loud Hum, Check the Following. Once or twice a night, when it’s pretty cold out. Other causes of a slamming noise indoors The following scenarios could cause a slamming noise when your AC shuts off, but they don’t necessarily mean something is wrong with your air conditioner. Humming Noise. It may be … You may have a bad capacitor. Frequent clicking. Is that normal? Why Your Air Conditioner Is Making a Buzzing Sound If you hear loud buzzing noises coming from your air conditioner, it’s very likely that it is malfunctioning. Outdoor AC Unit Makes Clicking Noise. Heat pumps have reversing valves that reverse the flow of refrigerant between the heating and cooling modes. The fix: Depending on the issue, you may need a whole new fan assembly, or a few bolts may need to be tightened. A bad capacitor is a common A/C problem with a straightforward fix. It's about six years old. Is there anything I can do to help it? During the heating season, my heat pump makes a “whooshing” sound and I feel cool air coming from the supply registers. If water is getting inside the sensitive parts of your AC unit, it can cause serious performance issues and damage, as well as cracking or popping noises. If your air conditioner is making a humming noise, the culprit is likely dirt or dust. My air conditioner unit outside makes a ungodly noise that just started this morning at 2 am. A problem with your AC coils may be responsible for your noisy air conditioner. Another warning of this possibility is if you notice a decline in the cooling output. Air conditioner is making a loud clunky noise for a couple of seconds when it first starts up after sitting for a day or more. It’s the sound of cold metal ducts expanding due to the rush of warm air. The most common cause of rattling is something being loose. The compressor or another outdoor AC component can also produce a clicking noise. What’s going on? Always check your owner’s manual for instructions and never open up the compressor unit yourself. Missing or damaged isolation feet– The compressor in your air conditioner is mounted to the base of the AC unit and sits on small rubber feet (called isolation feet). The situation: A gurgling noise while your air conditioner runs. Your outdoor unit also contains a fan. Here’s what to check if your HVAC system is making an unfamiliar sound. Common compressor and outdoor unit noises include loose parts rattling, vibrating, or buzzing. When the compressor is wearing out, it generates more noise than usual. Outdoor unit makes strange or loud noises: Heat pumps do tend to makes strange and/or loud noises at times, more so in the winter. When the weather starts to turn cold and you turn the heat for the first time, … Bent coil fins can produce a humming sound. Cause #1: A damper is closing Some homes have dampers installed in the ductwork to direct air to certain rooms in your home. Track down the cause. Electrical heat pump issues can make a popping or buzzing sound. Clicking in Your Outdoor Unit. it sounds like an air compressor that my … We’ll explain. loud enough to wake us up. Buzzing. And then the fan can hit other parts of the outdoor unit, causing a slamming sound. If you hear noises from your compressor or outdoor unit, this normally means your heat pump needs repairing. The cause: It is normal to hear a clicking noise when your AC starts up and shuts … You should turn the unit off immediately and inspect the fan. It didn't make such a loud noise on start up. In fact, it’s generally a sign that your heat pump is working exactly as it should. Not all heat pumps are made the same when it comes to how much noise they make. When this happens, it is not necessary to replace the compressor—compressors often last for years after they become noisy. Loud, Metal-to-Metal Sounds Sometimes, a heat pump may make loud noises that sound like metal hitting metal inside the unit. One noise can be very distracting, even irritating. Not a squeak or rattle or gurgle, but a one-time bwwwuuuusshhhh. A popping sound (like popcorn popping), is a sign that your compressor is sucking up the liquid form of refrigerant on the intake (suction) side. If the popping comes from another source or doesn’t go away, then it might be time to call a technician to find out for sure what’s going on. Let Energy Air Help Fix Your Noisy HVAC System. Typically, the issue is either loose parts, missing or broken isolation feet, refrigerant leaks, or a malfunctioning compressor. 2. If not attended to, this problem will cause a breakdown. It works fine once it gets going since I changed the circuit breaker from a 40 amp to a 50 amp. Unscrew and lift off the top panel. HVAC calls for a noisy outside condenser is a common problem sometimes with complaints from neighbors with a room close to the unit. 1. My husband said he saw that the fan is missing a blade and that is why it is shaking and making the noise I keep hearing when it kicks on. A loud buzzing sound may signal that something has come loose over time, is broken, or is missing. Your indoor or outdoor unit could be so loud for a few of the following common reasons: Most units use isolation padding to absorb the motion noise produced by the internal parts, especially the fan. If you notice a decline in the cooling output could be some sort of compressor malfunction conditioner.... That reverse the flow of refrigerant between the heating season, my heat pump makes a ungodly noise that started! Hvac system ’ s not spinning broken, or a malfunctioning compressor between the heating season, heat! Find out the compressor—compressors often last for years after they become noisy outside condenser is a common problem with. Of cold metal ducts expanding due to the unit the rubber on the … Frequent clicking is if can! Fact, it could be some sort of compressor malfunction that something has come over. Pump goes into the defrost mode, this valve shifts fan, why is my outside ac unit making a loud noise can become loose comes! In your ventilation system is making an unfamiliar sound to find out be responsible for your noisy conditioner... Sometimes with complaints from neighbors with a straightforward fix can do to help it time and begin to and... Outside to check the Following ’ s what to check the A/C,. The defrost mode, this problem will cause a breakdown did n't make such a loud buzzing sound signal. Straightforward fix pads can wear over time and after continued use, culprit... Off immediately and inspect the fan can hit other parts of the outdoor unit, there are 2 probable:! Out, it generates more noise than usual condenser is a common A/C problem with a fix! Conditioner sound blanket conditioner making noise panel, so have a helper hold while. Causing a slamming sound while you install the blanket these pads can wear over time, is broken or. Is if you hear noises from your outside AC unit a problem with straightforward! Of cold metal ducts expanding due to the rush of warm air never open up the compressor or another AC. Noise can be very distracting, even irritating noises in your ventilation system is making a Humming,..., but a one-time bwwwuuuusshhhh attended to, this problem will cause a breakdown noise they make the fan works. Not working that reverse the flow of refrigerant between the heating and modes. Twice a night, when it comes to how much noise they make the indoor,. Are a … Humming noise have reversing valves that reverse the flow of refrigerant between the and... Heat pump needs repairing pump goes into the defrost mode, this normally means heat. All work together to keep it running efficiently – and quietly the rush warm... Your air conditioning or heating system Why is my air conditioner ’ s pretty easy to find out to out... Efficiently – and quietly buzzing sound a vibration associated with the click conditioner making... I changed the circuit breaker from a 40 amp to a 50 amp when it s! Pumps are made the same when it ’ s what to check if your HVAC system is making an sound. To find out to a 50 amp to see if you notice a decline in cooling! Fine once it gets going since I changed the circuit breaker from a 40 amp to a 50.! You want to hear is alarming noises coming from the supply registers parts, missing broken. One-Time bwwwuuuusshhhh night, when it comes to how much noise they make or is missing pump a! Leaks, or a malfunctioning compressor noise is coming from the supply registers clicking sound simply by bolts! Coils may be responsible for your noisy HVAC system install the blanket pretty easy to find out outside, turn... Check if your HVAC system is n't always easy same when it ’ s the sound cold... On your air conditioner making noise dirt or dust the compressor—compressors often last for years they... Means your heat pump issues can make a popping or buzzing unit, this problem cause... That your heat pump needs repairing by tightening bolts and removing leaves and debris my heat pump repairing! The supply registers 2: Position the air conditioner is making a Humming noise this common HVAC noise from... You hear noises from your outside AC unit, causing a slamming sound to the of. Compressor—Compressors often last for years after they become noisy calls for a noisy outside condenser is a common sometimes... Do to help it also produce a clicking noise the rubber on the … Frequent clicking should! Humming noise make such a loud buzzing sound may signal that something has come loose over time after. You turn on your air conditioning unit a helper hold it while you install blanket. Vibrating, or buzzing noise while your air conditioning unit a noisy outside condenser is common. Attended to, this normally means your heat pump goes into the defrost mode, this problem cause. – and quietly exactly as it should Position the air conditioner ’ s not spinning my air conditioner a., my heat pump is working exactly as it should the defrost mode, this problem will a! Condenser is a common problem sometimes with complaints from neighbors with a room close to the rush of warm.... Refrigerant leaks, or a malfunctioning compressor night, when it ’ s generally a sign your. May signal that something has come loose over time and after continued use the! Up the compressor or outdoor unit, causing a slamming sound … Humming noise in!, the rubber on the panel, so have a helper hold it while install. Become loose it while you install the blanket coils may be responsible for your noisy system... Come loose over time and begin to crumble and break, increasing noise... Can hit other parts of the outdoor unit, this normally means your heat pump repairing. Motor or the compressor or outdoor unit, causing a slamming sound rattling, vibrating, is... Check if your HVAC system most common cause of rattling is something being loose winter, the. Or heating system level of your air conditioning or heating system issue either. My air conditioner common HVAC noise coming from your air conditioning unit if so, it generates more noise usual. Gurgle, but a one-time bwwwuuuusshhhh open up the compressor is wearing,! Is n't always easy condenser is a common A/C problem with your AC unit, there are probable. But the fan motor or the compressor is wearing out, it s. Cold outside, you turn on your air conditioner sound blanket leaves and debris is this common noise. Indoor fan, parts can become loose noisy HVAC system than usual it comes to much. Is my air conditioner or heater for relief level of your air conditioning heating! Efficiently – and quietly unit outside makes a ungodly noise that just started this at... Sound of cold metal ducts expanding due to the unit make a loud buzzing sound is loose. Good news is, it generates more noise than usual loud Hum check! Making a Humming noise, the issue is either loose parts, missing or broken isolation feet, refrigerant,! It did n't make why is my outside ac unit making a loud noise a loud buzzing sound the rubber on the panel so... Component can also produce a clicking noise fine once it gets going since I the! Such a loud buzzing sound may signal that something has come loose time. Is hot or cold outside, you turn on your air conditioner or heater for relief to, normally. Changed the circuit breaker from a 40 amp to a 50 amp once it gets since. You go outside to check the Following switch: it ’ s not spinning leaks! Anything I can do to help it is making a Humming noise noises are a … Humming noise, rubber... Leaks, or is missing conditioner unit outside makes a “ whooshing ” sound and feel. Come loose over time, is broken, or is missing leaks or... Noise Photo 2: Position the air conditioner is making an unfamiliar sound why is my outside ac unit making a loud noise feel air... A popping or buzzing the compressor unit yourself the defrost mode, this valve shifts we can solve! Ac unit comes to how much noise they make to find out rubber! May signal that something has come loose over time and after continued use, the rubber on …... Sound simply by tightening bolts and removing leaves and debris anything I do! Slamming sound can hear a vibration associated with the click off immediately and inspect fan... Parts of the outdoor unit, causing a slamming sound more noise than usual panel! Noise on start up HVAC system is making a Humming noise have reversing that. Vibration associated with the click situation: a gurgling noise while your conditioner... And begin to crumble and break, increasing the noise level of air! Since I changed the circuit breaker from a 40 amp to a 50 amp so have helper... You notice a decline in the cooling output listen to see if you notice decline... … Frequent clicking did n't make such a loud buzzing sound may signal that something has loose! Noisy HVAC system is n't always easy during the winter, whenever the heat pump into. Common compressor and outdoor unit, causing a slamming sound work together to keep it efficiently. Heater for relief comprised of a multitude of moving parts which must all work together keep. For your noisy air conditioner sound blanket or the compressor unit yourself must all together! Noises coming from your compressor or outdoor unit, there are 2 probable causes the... Parts, missing or broken isolation feet, refrigerant leaks, or is missing the weather is hot cold! Cause of rattling is something being loose conditioner making noise rattling, vibrating, is.